The joy of doing nothing
- Browse a bookstore: Read the backs of fiction books. Flip through a travel guide. Drool over cookbooks with pictures. Take a seat in a big comfy chair. I get all my books from the library, but that doesn’t stop me from stopping in every bookstore I pass.
- Sit at a café: Bonus points if there’s a spare newspaper or magazine lying around. Sip a latte. Make friends with the waiter. Sip another latte. Order some food, if only to keep the table. Enjoy your food, completely.
- People watch: On a bench. On the beach. In a park. On a café terrace. In a pub’s courtyard. On the tram. On a busy street corner.
- Soak up the sunshine. Read a book. Take off your shoes and take a nap. Get a tan. Put on some sunscreen. Watch the clouds roll by.
- Watch the sun set. Watch the sun rise.
- Wander: Through alley ways. Through cemeteries. Through open-air markets. Look for street art. Look for hidden passageways. Look for courtyards. Don’t take public transportation. Don’t take taxis.
What’s your favorite way to do nothing?