A stylish year in one suitcase
The suitcase that my life is packed in is recommended for trips of five to eight days. I’m going to make it work for an indeterminate amount of time: perhaps six months, perhaps more than a year.
Boys, believe me, I’m jealous. If I could wear a T-shirt and flip-flops every day, whether sightseeing or barhopping, I would. But between being in a sorority and living surrounded by the chicest women on earth, I’ve learned that how you present yourself does matter—to the rest of the world and to you.
Call it the Facebook effect, but I hate being caught wearing in the same outfit twice.Have you ever seen those spreads in fashion magazines, the ones where they have five pieces and magically create fifty amazing outfits? That’s the inspiration for my packing strategy.
- Stick to solid colors: I swear by a black v-neck, white v-neck, black tank top and white tank top. You can mix and match, go monotone or wear the tanks and v-necks separately. Throw in a few extra colors and a black cardigan, and I’ve got heaps of options.
- Make sure every top goes with every bottom: Everything can work for day or night; everything can be worn with every top and pair of shoes I brought.
- Make your accessories count: I swear by a few bright, colorful scarves: they can instantly dress up or dress down an outfit, depending on how you wear them. I also have a great black tuexedo vest that makes even a casual top going-out worthy. A few scarves and a vest are easy to pack and instantly spice up any option.
- Dresses are an entire outfit in one: I got rid of a lot of my summer dresses when I was at home: they’ve had a good run, but it was time for them to grace someone new. However, dresses were my saving grace while backpacking in the hot summer months.
- There will never be a new black. I read one interview where a lady said that she always wore at least one piece of black in her outfit to ground it, and I love that. Black will always be chic, it will always be flattering. It goes with everything, particularly itself.
- Jewelry organizer: My mom instilled in me that a lady never leaves the house without earrings. She’s not thrilled that I now have five holes to keep sparkling, but I always hear her words ringing when I walk out bare-eared. An awesome, compact jewelry organizer has been incredibly helpful to keeping me classy on the road.
- Pack it right: Atlantic Luggage hooked me up with an awesome suitcase: the Atlantic Luggage Ultra Lite is lightweight, but also stylish and sturdy. After hearing reports of wheels breaking off and cases splitting in half, I’m hesitant of the hard cases. I like that the Atlantic Ultra Lite is softsided, but still packs the lightweight benefits of a hard case. There are just enough extra pockets to be useful without being annoying as well–I love it!
- Confidence is key: One of my best friends had a simple mantra when it came to school work: look good, feel good, do good. If you’re comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing, that poise and self-assurance will come across.
What are your favorite packing tips to stay stylish on the road?